think outside the bottle

I recently went to a private screening of the documentary: FLOW (For Love of Water) It was incredibly educational. The documentary comes out in theaters in the fall. Watch for it because it is a must see. You can also visit their webpage at flow the film. From their website is a link to another website that talks about bottled water. It is think outside the bottle. Here is information from that site:

Bottled water corporations are changing the very way people think about water. Corporations like Coke, Nestlé and Pepsi are manufacturing demand for an essential resource that flows directly from our taps. What's more many bottled water brands actually come from the same source as public tap water though these brands are sold back to the public at thousands of times the cost.
Plastic bottles also require massive amounts of fossil fuels to manufacture and transport. Billions of these bottles wind up in landfills every year.
And when bottled water marketing convinces one in five people that the only place to get drinking water is from a bottle, it threatens the political will to adequately fund our public water systems.
You can help reverse this trend - take action today to support efforts to reduce the social and environmental impacts of bottled water and to prioritize public water systems!

here's what I'm going to do:

The office where I work buys bottled water for us to drink - individual bottles of water. I think it's because we didn't have a kitchen sink for a long time. Now we have one. I'm looking into options for getting a filter system hooked up to our sink and I'm going to present them to my boss. I hope he accepts an alternative. Some of the bottles we use get recycled but I have seen many of them end up in the trash. Also it is so crazy how much fuel is used to transport bottles of water from the "manufacturer" to the stores and then again to the end user.

I have also purchased an aluminum water bottle to use for hiking. With all of this scare of BPA leeching I want to use the safest method possible for drinking containers. I got my SIGG bottle from Whole Foods. It looks like THIS.

2 comments:

  1. andrea said...

    I love this blog! I added it to my link list.

    I think what you are doing at your office is great. Why use all those bottles when you could just reuse your personal aluminum bottles with filtered tap water. I am sure if you present it your boss will do it. That's the thing about these topics, it just makes sense. And it just feels right to conserve.

    I really need to order some of those water bottles, I wonder if they make kids sizes!?  

  2. Judy Neil said...

    they sell those bottles at Wild Oats and Whole Foods stores. I'm sure you could find some in your area. They do make kids' sizes.